- How has racism affected me?
- What are some ways we can fight racism?
(Submissions may be on one or both of the themes)
2. Participant Eligibility
- Open to residents of Manitoba aged 14 to 20 years at the time of entry.
- Submissions may be made by individuals or groups.
- Consent of a parent/guardian is required for submissions from those under 18 years of age.
- Entries from a group identified with a school or organization also requires the consent of an authorized representative of the school or organization.
- Only one entry per participant is permitted.
- Immediate family members (son or daughter, brother or sister) or persons living under the same roof as an employee of AANDC or a member of the Community Advisory Council are not eligible to enter.
- To be eligible, participants must fill in all fields on the Challenge entry form.
3. Eligibility – All Submissions
- Your work must be original and you must confirm you own all the rights to your submission. For example, your work should not contain any music or any other audio or video material that is created by a third party.
- You must confirm you have the consent of anyone who is identifiable in your photo or video, or the consent of their parent or guardian if they are minors at the time the photo/video was taken. If your work identifies a school, community centre or other organization, you must also have the consent of an authorized representative of the organization.
- You release and indemnify AANDC and the partner organizations against any claim, demand, action, suit, or other proceedings against them arising out of entering the challenge, use and publication of your submission, and the use of photos or images and any false or inaccurate statements in your submission.
- You must confirm you have read, understood and agreed to the Challenge Rules. For those under 18, your parent or legal guardian must confirm that he or she has read, understood and agreed to the rules.
- You must accurately complete all required fields of the entry form. If the Eligible Participant is a Minor, the first and last name of the parent or legal guardian must be included.
- All submissions must be in an electronic format. You can upload your entry to the challenge web site or you can submit it by mail on a CD/DVD or USB. Note that AANDC and the partners are not responsible for lost or damaged entries.
4. Eligibility – Hate Language
While the content and focus of the Challenge and all submissions are to concern racism, any submissions that actively or subversively promote racism through hate language, violence or abuse in image and/or language will be disqualified from the Challenge.
5. Eligibility – Written Submissions
- Written submissions can be in any format, including poetry or prose but must be less than 1000 words.
6. Eligibility – Multimedia (Video and Audio submissions)
- Submissions must be no longer than 3 minutes.
- For video – any device can be used to record the Video, including a camera, cell phone, camcorder or webcam.
- For video – you should not provide or state your last name or address in the Video itself (but you will be required to provide your last name on the entry form so that we may contact you).
- Video entries must be a maximum of 500 MB, and submitted in one of the following formats: MOV, MPEG, MPG, MP4, M4V, VOB, FLV, AVI, ASF, DIVX, WMV.
- Audio entries must be a maximum of 50 MB, and submitted in one of the following formats: MP3, M4A, WMA, WAV, MP4, AAC
- Videos must be uploaded directly to the contest site or included from your YouTube account login provided in your Challenge entry.
7. Eligibility – Artwork
- Acceptable photo and image formats are .jpg, .gif and .png. Maximum file size is 3MB (3145728 bytes).
- Entries must be submitted before 11:59 PM CST on February 15, 2013.
9. Evaluation Criteria
Submissions will be evaluated using the following criteria:
- Compliance with the entry rules
- Relevance to the themes (participants may choose to have their submissions focus on one or both of the themes)
- Clarity of message
- Number of votes received through the web site
10. Selection of winners
Winners will be selected by a panel of members from the partner organizations based on the evaluation criteria.
First prizes of $500 will be awarded in each of the three categories – Written submissions, Multimedia (Videos and audio submissions) and Artwork.
Second prizes of $300 will be awarded in each of the three categories – Written submissions, Multimedia (Videos and audio submissions) and Artwork.
Voting is open to the general public and to entrants in the competition.
Individual voting may commence at 9:01 AM CST on December 4, 2012 and all votes must be cast by 11:59 PM CST on February 15, 2013.
Those voting may submit one vote per email address for the duration of the voting period.
All eligible entries become the property of AANDC. By entering the Challenge, Eligible Participants assign to the AANDC all present and future rights, title and interest to their respective entry, and grant AANDC the right to edit, copy and otherwise use, in whole or in part, the entry to promote the Challenge, or for any other purpose, without notice or compensation to the entrant.
14. WINNER DETERMINATION, NOTIFICATION AND VERIFICATION:
Notifications will be sent to all Tentative Prize Winners at the address information provided on the submission form within 72 hours of being selected by the judging panel.
Tentative Prize Winners must provide proof of identification. Each Tentative Prize Winner (or, if such Tentative Prize Winner is a Minor, such Minor’s parent, legal guardian) must sign a declaration, waiver and release, affirming he or she has read, understood and agreed to be bound by these Rules, grants all consents required and as contemplated by these Rules, authorizes AANDC to broadcast, publish and disseminate his or her first name, likeness, city or town of residence and age in connection with any promotion, publicity, or news, entertainment and/or information purposes, without further consent and without compensation, and releasing AANDC, its affiliates, representatives, employees and agents from any and all liability of any kind whatsoever arising out of the Tentative Prize Winner’s participation in the Challenge and/or receipt and execution of any prize awarded.
This Challenge is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulations. By entering the Challenge, participants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and Regulations and by the decisions of the Challenge judges, which shall be final on all matters relating to this Challenge.
If for any reason the online portion of this Challenge is not capable of being completed as planned including, but not limited to computer virus, bugs, tampering, technical failures or other causes beyond the control of AANDC, AANDC reserves the right to cancel, suspend or modify the Challenge.
The challenge is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by Facebook. Any information you provide is disclosed to AANDC and not to Facebook. The information you provide will only be used to conduct the Challenge and determine a winner.